30 is not the new 20. A few notes to my younger self.
Today I’m turning 30. It should be a big deal. It seems 30 is the new 20, but guess what, it’s not. And I’m glad about it.
I’m far from all the stereotypes society wants me to be at 30 - I’m not married (and still single), I don’t have any kids and I’m still thinking about where I want to live in the world - but I’m happy. I know I still have a long and successful life ahead of me with nothing to hold me back.
I’m growing up and moving forward and even if these past 2 years have been challenging, I’ve learned a lot and I’m different now. I even think I’m better than who I was, without being perfect.
So before jumping into more years of adventures while building an epic life, I just wanted to sit back and shared what I’ve learned this past decade through all the good and bad times.
So here it is, a few notes to my younger self:
- You don't have to please everybody - And believe me, you won’t anyway, no matter how hard you try to. Start to do things for you and focus on what is good for you. Try not to waste your time with people who don’t care about you. You might not know yet but if you really listen to your feelings, you’ll figure out. If one night, you don't feel like going out, just say no. People won't judge you or they will eventually but you’ll learn not to pay attention to it. And I’ll give you a little secret, nesting will be the new going out in a few years :)
- Everything happens for a reason - Trust The Universe and work with it. You might not understand all the signs it’s sending to you but it has definitely planed something amazing for you in the coming years.
- Don’t stress on small things. Sometime things won’t happen the way you want but rather than freaking out, just let it go and find the positive in every situation. Remember Note 2, The Universe has your back and the more open and positive you are to what happens in your life, the better you will feel. So take time to stop and breathe.
- You are on a journey - You continue to evolve day after day. Honor progress over perfection. Love yourself. Find what brings you joy and invest your time in. You might not have all the answers right away but this is what will make your life more exciting. So be open to all the opportunities that happen into your life.
- Don’t compare yourself to others - But rather be inspired. Have you ever experienced this feeling that you were so proud of you of doing something and once you check on social media, you felt completely discouraged because you realized someone else did it better than you. Yep, you just compared yourself. I spent years trying to look like someone else thinking that it will make me happier but I was wrong. Talk to people, be empowered, be creative and inspired but never compare yourself. Never.
- Surround yourself with positive people - Find your tribe and don’t be scared to let go people who bring you down. Dealing with negative people will drain you a lot of energy and it won’t help you to follow your dreams. I just realized that during my years spent in Los Angeles: before that, I had no idea how powerful it is to be surrounded by the right people. So trust me, end these toxic relationships you had for so many years.
- Love yourself - Despite all what they say. I know it’s hard and so often you will have to deal with your insecurities. You will compare yourself wishing you weigh a few kilos less. You might not have the perfect body but guess what, nobody has it and the way you act and think is more important. You are unique and this is what makes you so beautiful. Embrace your flaws and be confident in yourself.
- You are not alone. Focus on relationships but always keep in mind Note 6. Connections are essential for us to grow. Socialize, go out, interact with others and learn from them.
- Don't let your fear take over your dreams - Fear will always be there, ready to show up at any time to make you doubt and renounce to your dreams. But you can choose how to deal with them, whether you’re going to let them in to decide what to do or simply walk by them without paying attention. It’s your choice.
- Be grateful - Always. For what you have, for what you learn, for who you are.
I could have written more. I’m not trying to say that I’ve figured it all out. I’m scared but I’m ready to experience what life has to offer me.
Cheers to another 30 years.